Special Parameters for Standard SmartFan® Controls and Alarms
Many parameters of standard controls and alarms are readily changed at minimum cost. Examples of these include: Idle Speed
- The idle (minimum) voltage of a standard control is usually set to produce a minimum fan speed of slightly over 1/2 of full speed. For applications requiring a higher or lower minimum speed, this voltage can easily be changed.
- Many SmartFan controls offer 3 jumper selectable standard control temperatures (the temperature above which fan speed is highest). These temperatures are usually 35°C, 40°C, and 45°C, but other higher or lower control temperatures can be provided.
- SmartFan Controls with jumper selectable control temperatures include:
I2C and MODBUS Communications Protocols
- Many SmartFan controls are configurable using either an I2C or MODBUS communications interface to allow the customer to set fan speed and alarm parameters. These parameters can also be set at the factory.
- SmartFan Controls with I2C or MODBUS based communications include:
- In closed-loop electronic cooling applications and in many HVAC applications, a sensitivity (temperature slope) corresponding to about 5°C for a speed change from 1/2 to full speed has been found to be optimum. However, somewhat greater or smaller sensitivities can be provided.
- Standard control signals include temperature, 0-10VDC, and 4-20mA. Other control signal options can be provided.
Alarm Trigger Points
- Most SmartFan products offer selectable thresholds regarding alarm trigger points to indicate over temperature, fan failure (tachometer reading), or loss of communication/control signal. Special settings can again be implemented for unique environmental conditions.
Special Alarm Outputs
- Depending on your SmartFan model, the alarm output may be referenced to the negative terminal of a fan or optically isolated. In applications requiring higher switching (sinking) currents or voltages, the standard optical isolator can be replaced with a MOS relay that can be either “normally open” or “normally closed”.
Special Requests & Application Examples
Control Resources’ staff and facilities are fully equipped to provide complete fan, pump and motor control solutions from product definition to prototype design and verification to volume production.
For additional information on Custom Products, use the following links: