Fan Speed Control and Alarm Designed for 12V DC Fans
SmartFan Vortex Fan Speed Control
Part Number : VOR5I400-F
SmartFan Vortex I2C DC fan speed control and alarm
SmartFan Vortex I2C Fan Speed Control and Alarm for 12V DC FansOperation/Installation Manual
SmartFan Vortex is an I2C fan speed control and alarm designed for 12V DC fans. Vortex can control and monitor tach pulses from up to four fans. The controller accepts fan speed control commands (including on/off) and provides individual pass/fail fan status via an I2C interface. Fan speed control can also be based on temperature. The I2C interface also provides temperature readings from an on-board thermistor and EEPROM storage. Voltage to the fans is varied using a current mode buck control circuit. Vortex is compatible with fans that provide open collector or voltage source tach pulses.
I2C Design Tips: Check out our review of the advantages of using I2C Communication for Fan Speed Control in Telecom Cooling Applications. Includes sample protocol and operations flowchart found in many of our standard SmartFan DC controls. In addition to the standard line of SmartFan controls and alarms, Control Resources also provides custom control design and manufacturing services to provide you with the optimum cooling solution for your OEM control applications.
Product Features – SmartFan Vortex I2C Fan Speed Control and Alarm for 12V DC Fans
- High power efficiency, typically greater than 90%.
- Fan voltage adjustment is accomplished with a current mode buck control circuit.
- Fans can also be turned off.
- Monitors open collector or voltage source tach pulses from the fans.
- Provides pass/fail status for each fan through the I2C interface.
- Optional individual fan fusing
- Small size of 1.5″ x 5.0″ permits mounting in small spaces within fan trays, etc.
- RoHS compliant.
- For mounting and connecting hardware order Hardware Pack P/N H122-F.
Specifications – SmartFan Vortex I2C Fan Speed Control and Alarm for 12V DC Fans
- Power Source: 12 VDC (+/- 20%)
- Current Rating: 5 Amps @ 55°C or less
- Fans: up to four 12 VDC fans
- Fan speed based on:
Temperature at an on-board or remote thermistor
- I2C interface capability:
Set fan speed control to be based on temperature or I2C commands
Write fan speed commands (including on/off)
Read pass/fail status for each fan
Read temperature readings from an on-board thermistor
Allow access to EEPROM storage
- Temperature accuracy and hysteresis: 2°C
Stock Product VOR5I400-F
Downloads – SmartFan Vortex I2C Fan Speed Control and Alarm for 12V DC Fans